On the strength of our work on the Beverly Centre 90th Avenue, Abugov•Kaspar was asked to design this assisted living / aging in place home in the Midnapore neighborhood. As with the Beverly Centre on 90th Avenue, our design seeks to mitigate the institutional atmosphere. This is achieved in part through a range of dining areas that vary in theme and style, and that offer a wide assortment of menu choices made possible by the facility’s large kitchen.
- The project includes a 2-storey, noncombustible wing for long term care units, and a 3-storey, non-combustible wing for assisted living units.
- Assisted living accommodations include 22 bachelor apartments, 24 1-bedroom apartments, and 4 2-bedroom apartments.
- The first phase of project created 183 beds for long-term care, with an additional 64 beds introduced in a 3-storey expansion.
- Total building area is 8,670 metres square. The design includes a landscaped interior courtyard for residents.
- The use of masonry throughout the development creates a visual relationship between the interior and exterior.
- With connotations of stability and tradition, the masonry unifies the design while creating a comfortable and familiar environment.
- The facility is rich with amenities, including restaurant-style dining, multiple social rooms, and laundry and kitchen services. The facility also has a separate professional entrance for the administrative core.
Learn about our architectural work on this project here.